Saturday 10 July 2010

Vintage blog finds

Just when I thought there couldn't possibly be more room in google reader for another blog subscription, along comes a gem that's set me off on a whole new blog network and - whoops - a whole afternoon has been spent in blog wonderland!

I've been a bit lax on keeping up with my blog reading lately, so I've only just seen the fabulous tips on sewing vintage patterns by Mena Trott from Sew Weekly featured on Sew Mama Sew blog as part of their Make it Wear it month. It's a fab introduction to sewing vintage patterns, but even better is Mena's blog itself - since Autumn 2009 she has sewn something (mostly from vintage patterns) every week with the aim of having a completely home-sewn wardrobe by the end of 2010. I am quite literally pea-green with envy at both Mena's amazing blog, and her fabulous wardrobe.

Mena's blog reminded me that I've got a number of vintage patterns in my sewing stash, so while I'm not sure I'll ever manage an entire vintage wardrobe, I have set myself the (small, but hopefully achievable) goal of sewing at least 3 items of clothing between now and my return to the world of work at the end of September.... I've got to do it now it's in writing!

Mena's blog has also led me to some other fab vintage sewing blogs and shops:

Gerties New Blog for Better Sewing: Follow Gertie as she makes all fourteen fashions from her favorite 1950s sewing book, Vogue's New Book for Better Sewing.

Casey's elegant Musings: Graphic designer, vintage pattern seamstress and vintage style-ista, Casey's blog is beautiful and inspirational. Check out her great feature on sewing vintage patterns.

Lisa Freemont Pages: Retro styling with a focus on Hollywood glamour

Vintage pattern vendors:
Replica Vintage Patterns

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails